Sunday, September 20, 2009

Too Much Good Food!

Hello Again Everyone,

Wellness Intern here!I'm studying abroad in France right now: the country most well-known for their sophisticated appreciation for good food and wine.

I must say, there is PLENTY of good food here, and it could be quite easy to leave the country a few kilos heavier if one doesn't watch what they're eating.

Here's what I've discovered:

Resist temptation! Chocolatines may look and smell really good, but croissants have a lot of butter. Limit yourself to eating them as a treat, not a daily snack. Same goes with Nutella.... I know, bummer.

Slow down! I've always heard that the French love conversation, and I've discovered for myself that is very true! What also happens with good conversation, is that sometimes you're so busy talking, you forget to eat! When people get to talking, they tend to slow down on eating (because their mouths are already busy!) and end up not eating as much; probably because they've given their brain time to recognize the stomach it's not as hungry as it thought!

Desserts: Yes, they do make AMAZING desserts here, but typical French people eat yogurt, cheese, or fresh fruit for dessert. We may be used to ice cream bars, but adapting to the culture you're in, might mean healthier food choices!

1 comment:

  1. These are great tips! Sounds like what Mireille Guiliano says in "Why French Women Don't Get Fat." http://mireilleguiliano.com/

    I don't like the title, but eating slowly is always a good thing. And more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete